St. Johns Prep
Spring Street, Danvers MA
St. John's Preparatory School is a Roman Catholic college preparatory school for young men in Danvers, Massachusetts. It is located in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston. The school was founded in 1907 by the Xaverian Brothers, an order named for St. Francis Xavier founded by Theodore James Ryken in 1839. St. John's was formerly a combination commuter-boarding school school but ended its residential program in 1975.
In 1891, the Xaverian Brothers purchased the Jacob Spring Family Estate, which included 100 acres (40 ha) and three buildings, for $19,500. At this time, the Xaverian Brothers began St. John's Normal College, a school for young men aspiring to become members of the Congregation of the Brothers of St. Francis Xavier.
In 1907 Brother Benjamin, with seven Xaverian Brothers, founded St. John's Preparatory School for young men.