Saturday, February 5, 2011


On Wednesday, January 26, my dad was rushed to the hospital with symptoms of possible heart problems.  After two days stay at Beverly Hospital and getting the clearing that his heart was fine, a CAT scan on Friday discovered that he had a stroke.  I went to see him after work on Friday, chatted and left when his dinner came. Then next time I saw him on Sunday morning, he had slipped into a state of unconsciousness.  Another CAT Scan discovered that there was a bleed in the area of the stroke, the brain stem, which was causing swelling and a build up of fluid.  My Family, even mom, gathered at Beverly Hospital to be with dad, until they transported him to Lahey in Burlington.  Once at Burlington in the MICU, the Neurosurgeon put a tube in his brain to release the fluid. Dad was put on a ventilator to help with his breathing and the Doctors, Nurses, and Aids have been monitor is vitals and progress hour by hour.

All five children have been visiting Dad regularly,,, talking to Dad, and hoping he is hearing us and is aware of our presence and encouragement to get well and wake up.  We have been having some snowy weather but my 4x4 Jeep and I have made it to Lahey every day to spend time with Daddy and talk to him...I see him move his legs..a lot, move his arms, take commands from the Drs...(wiggle toes, raise two fingers), I am starting to see his eyes open slightly and he is blinking..hopefully to my questions to him.  I know that Dad is in there and trying really hard to get well and get strong.

The Astolfi children and grandchildren are all here for Dad....and we love him.  Through this difficult time I have been taking some photos of our environment as we make our visits to the MICU at Lahey in Burlington MA.

Granddaughter Allie making a knitted bracelet on the Knitting Knobbie in the MICU waiting room 
on Sunday evening, January 30, 2011

Sunday Evening at the MICU...Bill sleeps and Allie knits while waiting as the neurosurgeon
performs a procedure on Dad.

The parking garage at Lahey Burlington that I am becoming very familiar with.

Allie working on a  puzzle in the MICU waiting room, while the nurses are doing the shift change
Friday, February 4th - 7pm - 8pm

My brother Dave, working on the puzzle with Allie, as Cathy (Dave's wife looks on)

1 comment:

Kerry Hawkins said...

I hope your Dad recovers. It must be so hard for you and your family. I am glad you have eachother